Widget Recent Post No.

header ads

Recent Posts

header ads

Gordi fills an empty Sydney Opera House with her magnetic presence and expansive songs

Joan Sutherland theatre, Sydney Opera House
The ascendant musician channels the feeling of being isolated in a cavernous space in her livestreamed album launch

“I did think the first time I’d be here there would be a few more people in the crowd, but I’m imagining you all like an NRL match – cardboard cutouts.”

The Canowindra-born, Sydney-based singer-songwriter Gordi, AKA Sophie Payten, sits at a grand piano, talking straight at me. She is on the stage of the Sydney Opera House’s Joan Sutherland theatre; I am at home, in Melbourne. That quip, issued by Payten in a deep, resonant speaking voice not dissimilar to the soft-edged baritone she sings in, is received by myself and 200-odd others, all of us experiencing the ascendant musician’s auspicious album launch, her Opera House debut, in a decidedly inauspicious manner – via YouTube.

Continue reading...

from World news | The Guardian https://ift.tt/3hGmRNr

Post a Comment

0 Comments

Pay Less When You Drive Less